A REVIEW ARTICLE ON KEROSENE POISONING
*Dr. Manish Karat, Dr. S. R. Inchulkar and Dr. Prafulla
Kerosene poisoning is common problem in India. It is generally used for suicidal and homicidal purpose by pouring it on mouth and by burning clothes. Accidentally it is consumed by children mistaking it for water. Kerosene is a flammable liquid which is used in many industries and homes around the world as a fuel for light, heat and power. It is generally non-viscous and clear. Kerosene is also known as paraffin or kero. Kerosene is derived from coal, oil shale and wood, it is primarily derived from refined petroleum. It boils between 302ºF and 527ºF. Kerosene has low surface tension and liquid at room temperature. Kerosene is irritant to the gastrointestinal tract and if absorbed in systemic level depresses the central nervous system and if it is aspired it will be fatal to human beings. On account of its low surface tension and high vapour pressure even a few millilitres of kerosene entering in respiratory passage will spread throughout the lungs resulting in severe pneumonitis. Kerosene is not readily absorbed after ingestion so in treatment demulcents should be given to the patient. In kerosene poisoning gastric lavage is contraindicated because of Aspiration pneumonitis. For this poisoning symptomatic treatment should be done. Thus in this article review the major problems that would occur due to kerosene poisoning will be discussed.
Keywords: Kerosene Poisoning, Suicidal, Homicidal, Gastric Lavage, Pneumonitis etc.
[Full Text Article]