KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, AND PRACTICES REGARDING BIO MEDICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT AMONG DENTAL COLLEGE STUDENTS IN PATNA, EAST INDIA
Dr. Sanstuti*, Dr. R.N.P. Singh, Dr. Veeranna Ramesh, Dr. Sadananda L.D. and Dr. Suma B.S.
In spite of the remarkable innovations over the years in the health care delivery system, it is strange that the health care settings which reinstates and maintain the health of the community are also threatening their well-being. A huge risk to the health of the public, patients, professionals and environment arise due to production of a huge amount of „Biomedical Waste‟ which poses a great threat to living beings and environment as a whole. These biomedical wastes if not disposed correctly then these areas can become source of deadly infections. Aim: The aim of the study was to assess the knowledge, attitude and practice regarding biomedical waste management among dental students in Buddha Institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital in Patna, Bihar. Method: A cross-sectional study was conducted among 200 dental students of the 3rd year, 4th year, interns and postgraduates from a dental college in Patna city. A close-ended structured questionnaire was used to assess the knowledge and attitude and practice regarding biomedical waste management. The chi-square test were used to do the statistical analysis for the given data and the statistical significance was set at p<0.05. Results: Out of 200 participants, 24% were males and the rest 76% were females. Majority (91%) of dental students were aware of the term biomedical waste and almost 76% subjects agreed to that segregation of waste should be done at the point of generation. 87% of female subjects knew the non-segregation of waste at source increases the risk of injury to waste handlers. 47% disposes the outdated and expired medicines in a secure landfill. Conclusion: It can be concluded that with increase in exposure to knowledge, the students can better appreciate the significance of merits and how preventive measures can be employed in routine dental practices, thus making the primary prevention the best option to serve humanity.
Keywords: Bio- medical waste management, Knowledge & Attitude, Dental Students.
[Full Text Article]