ASSESSMENT OF LIFE STYLE AMONG THE DOCTORS WORKING IN DENTAL AND MEDICAL COLLEGES IN PATNA, BIHAR
Dr. Anaba Asif* Dr. R.N.P Singh, Dr. Sadananda L.D, Dr. Veeranna Ramesh, Dr. Suma B.S
Health is a key determinant of development and precursor of economic growth. â€Å¾Health is Wealthâ€Ÿ is a time tested adage. Health becomes more relevant when it comes to professionals whose job is to provide people with services that maintain an optimum state of mental, physical and social well-being. Sedentary life styles have serious consequences on public health and reflect poor self â€“ esteem and a lower health related quality of life. Health care professionals differ from general population in regards to the nature of their work, stress and burnout. Hence this study was done to know if Health care professionals â€Å¾Practice what they preach others.â€Ÿ Aim: To assess the lifestyle among the doctors working in dental and medical colleges in Patna, Bihar. Methodology: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted among 140 doctors working in dental and medical colleges of Patna, Bihar. Simple random sampling was done. A close-ended structured questionnaire was used for data collection. Data were collected, compiled & tabulated using Microsoft excel and analyzed by Chi-square test with p < 0.05 as significant. Results: Out of 140 subjects, 56% were males and the rest 44% were females. Physical activity was more among dental doctors 47.1%. The habit of tobacco consumption and smoking was 80.5% among medical male doctors and 65.1% among dental male doctors. Majority of the 34% of the dental doctors expressed the reason why individuals did not get involved in physical activities was due to lack of time. Stress was more among dental doctors. Conclusion: The study revealed that medical and dental doctors had sedentary job. Their mental well being, physical activities are not up to the mark and should be improved to foster the whole health care system for individual and community benefits
Keywords: Lifestyle, Sedentary, Medical, Dental and Mental Wellbeing.
[Full Text Article]